Sunday, January 4, 2015

Bienvenidos a Costa Rica!

     As my departure date quickly arrives, I'm feeling like an emotional roller coaster. I actually departed Michigan on December 18th, traveling to Texas to spend the holidays with my boyfriend. Leaving home was surprisingly easy, probably because of my exciting holiday plans. I know that leaving my boyfriend will be much more difficult, but I am so excited for the next 16 weeks. My boyfriend -- Rafael's first language is Spanish. He's been helping me practice my Spanish occasionally. It's been such a blessing to be spending this time with him, and being able to feel a little more confident each and every day, even while the anxiety also builds. 

---------------------

     I've arrived in Costa Rica, and so far it's been simply a blessing. At first I felt sort of lost and confused, but I quickly made friends at the airport who helped my find my way. The ride from the airport to my host families house, was about a half hour. There were 5 other students in the van that took us to our host families homes. We all became acquainted and discussed the excitement that none of us could contain. 

     When I arrived at my host families house, they welcomed me with open arms and open hearts. They showed me around, and took me to my room. They set me up in a 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom apartment like extension of their house. I got to pick my room, and of course I had to choose the brightly colored orange one with the double sized bed! My host family told me that I would be getting 2 more room mates.

     My family was quick to include me in their evening plans, and took me to a family birthday party. I was relieved when I found a couple family members that spoke English! Everyone is so incredibly welcoming and nice here!

     It's easy to say that my first night in San Jose was much more than successful. My first roommate arrived later in the evening and we quickly got along and became great friends! But, this is all for now mis amigos!


PURA VIDA!