Thursday, February 19, 2015

Reflection Hour

     Last week was my 1 month mark for being in Costa Rica. When I realized this, I immediately filled with so many emotions; Happy, sad, accomplished, worried, amazed, excited, and so much more. I couldn't decided how I really felt! Luckily, I was one of the people who were the exception to the homesickness curve. I have only felt so excited to be here the entire time. As much as I miss my friends and family back in the States, I just love everything that I have here, and I am so thankful for all the friends I've made here thus far. It makes it so much easier to know that other people are going through the same obstacles as me, whether it's with school or what to do next weekend. 

     I've officially finished one class, like I mentioned in my last post, I did extremely well! The class that I started last week is definitely already a challenge though. I learned a lot in my last class, but I know that I will learn so much more in this one. I already feel like I've learned so much! I just pray that I will do as well as I did last month! I had my first quiz yesterday, and I have my first oral exam tomorrow. It's crazy because I have to talk for 15 minutes about my experiences here thus far. While I have so much I could say, I fear that 15 minutes of talking by myself will be more than I can handle. Already, this coming Friday, I have my midterm. It's crazy to think that classes are only 4 weeks long, and that this one is already almost halfway over. 
Handstands during the sunset at Playa Hermosa
     Since I've been here, I've not only learned a lot of school related material, but I have also learned so much about myself. I truly believe that I will come home a brand new person, because I already feel myself changing into the person that I was meant to be. I've made friends that aren't in the same 'social status' as I am, I've done what I wanted to do regardless of what the people around me wanted to do, I've made my own decisions, I've developed into an individual person, rather than a follower of the crowd. 
     I've made a few mistakes, but I've also made plenty of great decisions. I love my life here in Costa Rica, and I really wish I could just continue my life here forever. 
     This past weekend, I went with a small group of people, whom I didn't know well (or really at all), to Playa Hermosa & Jacó. These beaches were really cool, because they have black sand instead of white. This is because of the volcanic ashes that come from nearby volcanoes. This ended up being one of my favorite weekends, because I stepped outside of my comfort zone and went along with some other people. I can easily say that on this trip, I made my best friends here in Costa Rica, and now, I hang out with them just about everyday.  On the way back to San Jose, the bus driver stopped the bus at this adorable fruit stand. All of the workers were surrounding you, giving you free fruit to taste. I've never tasted such delicious and interesting fruits in my life!